Work for Simple Politics!
Your chance to join Team SP!
Type: Part-time / Freelance Location: Remote working Hours: 25 Pay: £262.50/week
The Communications Officer will help with the overall communications output of Simple Politics, predominantly creating content and delivering information across our social media channels, which are followed by over 270,000 people around the world.
Main activities include:
- Live coverage of political events (on Twitter, providing verbatim coverage) this may include covering late night votes plus weekly PMQs coverage and occasional coverage of political programmes.
- Research and content creation, e.g. creating explainers for our social media channels on current political topics.
- Website management, updating the website in line with content published on our social media channels.
- Promotion of Simple Politics to existing and emerging audiences
- Ad hoc professional support to SP’s founder and director.
Simple Politics doesn’t get bogged down in qualifications or experience in fancy institutions. We want to see people who have a genuine interest in politics and who can leave their political affiliations at the door when representing us. You don’t need a politics degree; you don’t need to have done an internship for an MP. What you do need is an innate ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple manner, a passion for increasing access to politics and a desire to improve political conversations across the nation.
- Ability to create and manage content on social media
- Experience of working independently to a high standard
- Experience of using website Content Management Systems
- Ability to use simple design software (e.g. Canva) to create content that is clear and visually engaging.
- Proven ability to communicate in a clear, accurate and impartial way
- A decent level of knowledge and understanding of UK politics
- Experience creating original video content
- Live tweeting experience
- Experience of basic PR skills (how to draft a press release, keeping a database of journalists)
To apply for this job, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
A covering letter that clearly shows you meet all the essential criteria and as many of the desirable as possible
(Please note that the covering letter will be evaluated for the clarity of communication that this role requires. )
-A CV (this will only be looked at for candidates who are shortlisted) - Availability for interview (which will be done remotely) between 4th and 8th November. Interviews will be roughly 1hr 30/45 mins. First hour will be an exercise that will be emailed at the start of the interview time. Generally, interviews will be between 9 and 5, but we can be flexible if that’s not possible.
Application deadline: Midnight, 30th October 2019 Interviews: 4th -8th November (Hopefully) successful candidate begins: 11th November
If you have any questions, please email Tatton@simplepolitics.co.uk. Please do not send applications to him, they’ll probably get lost.